Thermal decomposition as route for silver nanoparticles
© to the authors 2006
Received: 4 September 2006
Accepted: 18 October 2006
Published: 28 November 2006
Single crystalline silver nanoparticles have been synthesized by thermal decomposition of silver oxalate in water and in ethylene glycol. Polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) was employed as a capping agent. The particles were spherical in shape with size below 10 nm. The chemical reduction of silver oxalate by PVA was also observed. Increase of the polymer concentration led to a decrease in the size of Ag particles. Ag nanoparticle was not formed in the absence of PVA. Antibacterial activity of the Ag colloid was studied by disc diffusion method.
KeywordsAg nanoparticles Synthesis Silver oxalate Thermal decomposition E. coli
We thank Prof. G. Sathyanarayana, Department of Biotechnology, IIT Madras, Chennai-36, for providing the facilities to carry out antibacterial study.
- Zhu J, Liu S, Palchik O, Koltypin Y, Gedanken A: Langmuir. 2000, 16: 6396. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD3cXks1WntL8%3D] 10.1021/la991507uView Article
- Forster S, Antonietti M: Adv. Mater.. 1998, 10: 195. 10.1002/(SICI)1521-4095(199802)10:3<195::AID-ADMA195>3.0.CO;2-VView Article
- Rao CNR, Kulkarni GU, Thomas PJ, Edwards PP: Chem. Soc. Rev.. 2000, 29: 27. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD3cXitFarsw%3D%3D] 10.1039/a904518jView Article
- Anderson DJ: J. Phys. Chem. B. 2006, 110: 13722. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD28XmtVygs7c%3D] 10.1021/jp055243yView Article
- Elechiguerra JL, Burt JL, Morones JR, Bragado AC, Gao X, Lara HH, Yacaman MJ: J. Nanobiotechnol.. 2005, 3: 6. 10.1186/1477-3155-3-6View Article
- Lee DK, Kang YS: ETRI Journal. 2004, 26: 3.
- Boldyrev VV: Thermo. Chim. Acta.. 2002, 388: 63. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD38Xkt1emurY%3D] 10.1016/S0040-6031(02)00044-8View Article
- Sondi I, Sondi BS: J. Colloid. Interface Sci.. 2004, 275: 177. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXktFKktL4%3D] 10.1016/j.jcis.2004.02.012View Article
- Kimura M, Ishiguro H, Tsukahara K: J. Phys. Chem.. 1990, 94: 4106. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK3cXitFGqtb4%3D] 10.1021/j100373a041View Article
- Milazzo G, Caroli S, Sharma VK: Tables of Standard Electrode Potentials. Ichester, Wiley; 1978.
- Naumov D, Boldyreva EV, Podberezskayu NV, Howard JAK: Solid state Ionics. 1997, 101: 1315. 10.1016/S0167-2738(97)00392-5View Article
- Leiga A: J. Phys. Chem.. 1996, 70: 3260. 10.1021/j100882a040View Article
- Sondi I, Dan Goia V, Matijevic E: J Colloid. Interface Sci.. 2003, 260: 75. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD3sXis1Cks7Y%3D] 10.1016/S0021-9797(02)00205-9View Article
- Porel S, Singh S, Radhakrishnan TP: Chem. Commun.. 2005, 18: 2387. 10.1039/b500536aView Article
- Zhang J, Li X, Liu K, Cui Z, Zhang G, Zhao B, Yang B: J. Colloid Interface Sci.. 2002, 255: 115. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD38XovVygsrc%3D] 10.1006/jcis.2002.8615View Article
- Weast RC: Handbook of chemistry and physics. CRC press, Florida; 1978.