Kinetics of growth of nanowhiskers (nanowires and nanotubes)
© to the authors 2007
Received: 3 January 2007
Accepted: 13 March 2007
Published: 1 May 2007
The kinetics of nanowhiskers growth is studied theoretically taking into account the adatom diffusion from the surface to the top of needle. An exponential growth with time is expected for the initial stages of the process, when the lengthl of the whisker is smaller than the average diffusion length λ of adatoms. It transforms to linear growth rate forl > λ. The formation of nanotubes with a hollow core dislocation is explained by accounting for the role of the stress in the middle of screw dislocations. When the magnitude of the Burgers vector exceeds a critical value, it is energetically more favorable to remove the highly strained material around the dislocation line and to create a tube with an additional free surface. Additionally, there is an important size effect, due to the small radiusR of the nanowhisker. The interplay, between the contributions from the size effects and from the diffusion, explains why for the very thin nanowhiskers the lengthl is proportional to the radiusR while, otherwise the length is inversely proportional to it, i.e.,l∼1/R.
KeywordsNanotubes Nanowires Nanowhiskers
The support of the EU Project INTERCONY, Contract no NMP4-CT-2006-033200 is appreciated.
- Givargizov E: J. Cryst. Growth. 1975, 31: 20. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaE28Xot1KmtQ%3D%3D] 10.1016/0022-0248(75)90105-0View Article
- Duan X, Wang J, Lieber C: Appl. Phys. Lett.. 2000, 76: 1116. ; COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD3cXhtlSgtb4%3D]; Bibcode number [2000ApPhL..76.1116D] 10.1063/1.125956View Article
- Lew K, Redwing J: J. Cryst. Growth. 2003, 254: 14. View Article
- Plante M, LaPierre R: J. Cryst. Growth. 2006, 286: 394. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD28XjsFan] 10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2005.10.024View Article
- Sears GW: Acta Metall.. 1955, 3: 367. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaG2MXns1ajsQ%3D%3D] 10.1016/0001-6160(55)90042-0View Article
- Sears GW: J. Chem. Phys.. 1956, 25: 637. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaG2sXotF2q] 10.1063/1.1743018View Article
- Gomer R: J. Chem. Phys.. 1958, 28: 457. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaG1cXltl2htg%3D%3D] 10.1063/1.1744158View Article
- Dittmar W, Neumann K: Growth and Perfection of Crystals.. Edited by: Doremus R.H., Roberts B.W., Turnball D.. Wiley, New York; 1958.
- Dittmar W, Neumann K: Z. Elektrochem.. 1960, 64: 297.
- Frank FC: Acta Crystallogr.. 1951, 4: 497. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaG38XivVymtg%3D%3D] 10.1107/S0365110X51001690View Article
- Heindl J, Dorsch W, Strunk HP, St. Müller G, Eckstein R, Hofmann D, Winnacker A: Phys. Rev. Lett.. 1998, 80: 740. ; COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK1cXlsVyhug%3D%3D]; Bibcode number [1998PhRvL..80..740H] 10.1103/PhysRevLett.80.740View Article
- Scapski A: Acta Met.. 1956, 4: 576. 10.1016/0001-6160(56)90159-6View Article
- D. Turnbull, M. Cohen, in Modern Aspects of vitreous State ed. by S.D. Mackenzie (Butterworths, London, 1960) p. 38
- Avramov I, Russel C, Avramova K: J. Non-Cryst. Sol.. 2004, 337: 220. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXlsVehsbw%3D] 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2004.04.012View Article
- Budurov S, Stojcev N, Avramov I: Krist. Technik. 1972, 7: 387. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaE38XlsFOhsLk%3D] 10.1002/crat.19720070403View Article
- Dubrovskii VG, Cirlin GE, Soshnikov IP, Tonkikh AA, Sibirev NV, Samsonenko YuB, Ustinov VM: Phys. Rev. B. 2005, 71: 205325. Bibcode number [2005PhRvB..71t5325D] Bibcode number [2005PhRvB..71t5325D] 10.1103/PhysRevB.71.205325View Article
- Ruth V, Hirth P: J. Chem. Phys.. 1964, 41: 3139. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaF2cXkvVylsL8%3D] 10.1063/1.1725687View Article
- E.I. Givargizov, A.A. Chernov, Kristallografiya 18, 147 (1973)
- Avramov I, Hoeche Th, Russel C: J. Chem. Phys.. 1999,110(17):8676. ; COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK1MXisFCgsbg%3D]; Bibcode number [1999JChPh.110.8676A] 10.1063/1.478775View Article
- Soshnikov I: Lett. JTF. 2005, 31: 29. in Russian in Russian
- V.G. Dubrovskii, G.E. Cirlin, I.P. Soshnikov, A.A. Tonkikh, N.V. Sibirev, Yu. B. Samsonenko, V.M. Ustinov, Phys. Rev. B 71, 205325 (2005)View Article
- Dubrovskii VG, Sibirev NV, Cirlin GE: Tech. Phys. Lett. 2004, 30: 682. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXntVKrtLw%3D] 10.1134/1.1792313View Article
- Kashchiev D: Cryst. Growth Design. 2006, 6: 1154. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD28XjtlOis7o%3D] 10.1021/cg050619iView Article