We’re sorry, something doesn't seem to be working properly.
Please try refreshing the page. If that doesn't work, please contact us so we can address the problem.
Multiscale modeling and simulation of nanotube-based torsional oscillators
© to the authors 2006
- Received: 11 October 2006
- Accepted: 25 October 2006
- Published: 28 November 2006
In this paper, we propose the first numerical study of nanotube-based torsional oscillators via developing a new multiscale model. The edge-to-edge technique was employed in this multiscale method to couple the molecular model, i.e., nanotubes, and the continuum model, i.e., the metal paddle. Without losing accuracy, the metal paddle was treated as the rigid body in the continuum model. Torsional oscillators containing (10,0) nanotubes were mainly studied. We considered various initial angles of twist to depict linear/nonlinear characteristics of torsional oscillators. Furthermore, effects of vacancy defects and temperature on mechanisms of nanotube-based torsional oscillators were discussed.
- Torsional oscillator
- Vacancy defects
The authors acknowledge support from the Army Research Office (Contract: # W911NF-06-C-0140) and the National Science Foundation (Grant # 0630153).
- Iijima S: Nature. 1991, 354: 56. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK38Xmt1Ojtg%3D%3D] 10.1038/354056a0View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Popov VN: Mater. Sci. Eng. R. 2004, 43: 61. 10.1016/j.mser.2003.10.001View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kim P, Lieber CM: Science. 1999, 286: 2148. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK1MXotFGrtrY%3D] 10.1126/science.286.5447.2148View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Srivastava D: Nanotechnology. 1997, 8: 186. COI number [1:CAS:528:DyaK1cXjtVejtQ%3D%3D] 10.1088/0957-4484/8/4/005View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Kang JW, Hwang HJ: Nanotechnology. 2004, 15: 1633. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2MXhsV2luw%3D%3D] 10.1088/0957-4484/15/11/045View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xiao SP, Andersen D, Han R, Hou WY: Int. J. Theo. Comput. Nano.. 2006, 3: 143.Google Scholar
- Williams PA, Papadakis SJ, Patel AM, Falvo MR, Washburn S, Superfine R: Phys. Rev. Lett.. 2002, 89: 255502. COI number [1:STN:280:DC%2BD38jitl2ntw%3D%3D] 10.1103/PhysRevLett.89.255502View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Williams PA, Papadakis SJ, Patel AM, Falvo MR, Washburn S, Superfine R: Phys. Rev. Lett.. 2003, 82: 805. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD3sXotlSrsw%3D%3D]Google Scholar
- Papadakis SJ, Hall AR, Williams PA, Vicci L, Falvo MR, Superfine R, Washburn S: Phys. Rev. Lett.. 2004, 93: 146101. COI number [1:STN:280:DC%2BD2crlsVShtg%3D%3D] 10.1103/PhysRevLett.93.146101View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Xiao SP, Belytschko T: Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg.. 2004, 193: 1645. 10.1016/j.cma.2003.12.053View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Belytschko T, Xiao SP: Int. J. Mult. Comput. Engrg.. 2003, 1: 115. 10.1615/IntJMultCompEng.v1.i1.100View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Belytschko T, Xiao SP, Schatz G, Ruoff R: Phys. Rev. B. 2002, 65: 235430. 10.1103/PhysRevB.65.235430View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Mielke SL, Troya D, Zhang SL, Li JL, Xiao SP, Car R, Ruoff RS, Schatz GC, Belytschko T: Chem. Phys. Lett.. 2004, 390: 413. COI number [1:CAS:528:DC%2BD2cXktVaitr4%3D] 10.1016/j.cplett.2004.04.054View ArticleGoogle Scholar
- Hoover WG: Phys. Rev. A. 1985, 31: 1695. 10.1103/PhysRevA.31.1695View ArticleGoogle Scholar